King Gillette Ranch
REMEMBER IT FROM:
The Angels infiltrate Blackmoor Girls’ College to find out who’s behind stranglings, arson, drug rackets, hair-pulling, and more! Featured in a total of six Charlie’s Angels episodes, you’ll be sure to recognize this sprawling estate.
FEATURED IN THESE EPISODES:
- “ “, Season 1 (Heinz’ Catholic Church)
- “ “, Season 2 (Celestial Research Foundation)
- “ “, Season 2 (Warfield Home for Girls)
- “ “, Season 3 (Blackmoor College)
- “ “, Season 4 (Harley’s institution)
- “ “, Season 4 (Dr. Redmont’s clinic)
FEATURED IN THE MOTION PICTURE:
“Satan’s School for Girls”, starring Kate Jackson and Cheryl Ladd (1973)
This location is most well known for playing the all-girls school in both, and Kate and Cheryl’s 1973 horror flick, Satan’s School for Girls – however this wasn’t the Angels’ first return visit. Shots of certain buildings are restricted to certain episodes, creating the confusing impression of multiple locations, but it’s all one property: King Gillette Ranch (yes, Gillette as in the razor).
There are some real interiors too, but it’s a little tricky: note the rooms seen in bothand . Satan’s School for Girls never really showed us the same rooms, but in some shots you can see very similar architecture and even identical lighting fixtures; based on this, it’s safe to call a match.
So,is the only episode which uses this location’s real exterior and interior, while used fake exteriors because it was supposed to be in the desert. All other episodes use its exteriors only, and add fake interior sets. Got it?
The land was once home to the Chumash Indians, but it was King Gillette and his safety razor fortune that transformed it into the quintessential retreat for a country gentleman. In 1928, he commissioned famed architect Wallace Neff to create the absolutely gorgeous, sprawling villa that’s the centerpiece of the ranch.
The two-story, 26,000-square-foot Spanish Mediterranean mansion, complete with swimming pool and tennis court, has gone through a number of famous owners during its lifetime. When King Gillette died in 1932, his widow sold the property to film director Clarence Brown, and the property became known as a Hollywood party hotspot. In 1952, the mansion was purchased by Bob Hope and his wife, Dolores, who donated the entire 588 acres to the Claretian Order of the Catholic Church. The church used the property as a seminary for the next 25 years, until eventually selling it to New Age leader Elizabeth Clare Prophet. Elizabeth planned to use the property as the headquarters for her religious movement, the Church Universal and Triumphant, but faced much government opposition and ended up selling it to Soku University of America in 1986. Finally, King Gillette Ranch was purchased by the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy, where it is now a wildlife and nature preserve, a favorite spot for picnics, weddings and formal events.
THEN & NOW PHOTOS:
MAP AND ADDRESS:
King Gillette Ranch
26800 Mulholland Highway
Calabasas, CA 91302